UN Global Compact principles covered:
Principle 7: Business should support a precautionary approach to environmental challenges
Principle 8: Business should undertake initiatives to promote greater environmental responsibility
Principle 9: Business should encourage the development and diffusion of environmentally friendly technologies
Future Environment Commitment
PLK fosters the environmental stewardship ethic by embracing broad concepts of impact avoidance and protection of natural resources, minimization, mitigation, restoration and enhancement of natural functions and values.
A brief description of our Processes or Systems
Plants within the organization to create an aspect of biophilia
All computers and lights are shut down when not in use to conserve energy
There are procedures in place to reduce paper wastage.
Activities implemented in the last year
An Energy investment grade audit was done by the Kenya Association of Manufacturers. An overview on PLK’s Energy consumption in year 2014/2015 analyzed the correlation of monthly electricity consumption with production.
Measurement of outcomes and value added for our company
- An Energy Conservation Opportunity (ECO) was established with the below adopted.
- ECO: Lighting.
- Electronic Ballasts for fluorescent tube light, with an annual cost savings of approximately 4,000 USD Replacement of lamps by equivalent LED Lamps with, an annual cost saving of approximately 8,500 USD ECO: Air conditioning.
- Improved cooling air flow so as to reduce the specific power consumption of the system, with an annual cost saving of approximately 1,000 USD.
- ECO: Lighting – Roof Top Solar Photovoltaic (SPV) system.
- SPV systems as a substitute of some portion of the grid electricity. This will consequently reduce electricity purchased from Kenya Power Ltd, with an annual cost saving of approximately 10,000 USD.
Activities planned for next year
- Implementation of the ECO projects to cover annual energy cost savings of approximately 23,500 USD in 2016.
- % Potential savings against 2015/2016 energy cost: 30.21% (Inc SPV)
- % Potential savings against 2015/2016 energy cost: 14.79% (Exc SPV)